Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Night To Remember

Hello Sport Management world! My name is Cory Sterling and I will be contributing a personal blog for the University of San Francisco Sport Management Masters Program website. I joined Cohort 27 in July of 2007, making my tenure in the program just over a year long. It’s scary to think about, but time has breezed by so quickly.

I feel it would be fitting to start my first blog by recalling my first experience with the program, our orientation dinner. It was a special evening that remains vivid in my mind and secured in my memories.

How exciting it all was, entering a room full of people I would be spending the next two years with and not knowing a soul. There is something so unique about the innocence of initial introductions!

At the time, it seemed like we were a group of 30 strangers dressed “business casual”, making small talk over tender chicken breast. It didn’t take long for the ice to be broken and avenues for new friendships and professional connections to open up. I’ve been very lucky to meet and work with some fantastic people who I never would have known otherwise.

In hindsight, what amazes me most about my reflections of orientation dinner is the progression each individual in our cohort has made since that foggy July evening. If there was a map of the professional sporting industry (as massive and diverse it would be), our cohort has placed a flag on every corner of it.

Each individual has found a way to contribute to their niche in the sport management world, wherever that may be. The opportunities to get involved in the Bay Area are infinite and the results are promising.

Through all of our collective accomplishments, one theme unites us all: the USF Sport Management Program. All that we’ve done in the past 13 months and all that we will do in the future derive from our original starting point; the friendly small talk and that tender chicken breast.

Life as a Sport Management student is curious, challenging, intriguing and fun. It takes one through new experiences and scenarios never dreamed possible. It questions character and justly rewards effort and dedication. Most importantly, it is the only thing I would ever want to do.

Feel free to email me at cssterling@usfca.edu with any questions and concerns.